Monday, April 8, 2019

Week 8 Posts Due April 12

Congratulations on finishing your reports for Dr. OB!  At this point in our blog posts, you no longer need to post about your reading.  Instead, discussions will center on the trip ahead.  We have already been moving in that direction with the last few posts, as some of you finished your reading early.  For this week, think back to our early meeting and getting to know your classmates.  At that time, you shared some of your thoughts and expectations about the trip.  Have any of those changed?  At this point, what are you most looking forward to experiencing?  What do you feel most anxious about? 

19 comments:

  1. Isaac Fernandez
    Since the beginning of the trip i have be really looking forward to experience Chinese culture in person and get to enjoy a part of Asian culture. I am still excited about taking pictures and enjoying the different food but now i am really looking forward to seen a completely different religious ideology than what I am used to. I had been studying a look about the different religions and believes of China, so I am looking forward to experiencing them in person.
    I am actually not anxious about the trip just about the idea of not understanding the language and not being able to understand anything that the locals say. But, that is just part of traveling so it is still okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I am not super worried about the language barrier. I have my Google Translate app downloaded and ready to go! But, I am excited just like you to experience Asian culture! I loved Asian Night, and it just increased my excitement to see some of this amazing culture firsthand!
      -- Ashley Blake

      Delete
    2. Yeah i can also relate to the whole language barrier. I'm not anxious for it but i'm very interested to see how it will play out. But yes it will be nice to see the different religious beliefs, this should help us better understand the Chinese culture.
      -Rodny Aquino

      Delete
  2. At our first meeting, I mentioned that I was excited to see the Great Wall of China. I am still excited to see that, but after reading the Chinese poetry and literature that we have been assigned, I know about a lot more to look forward to! I am excited to see the Yangtze River covered in mists. I am looking forward to touring the factories and seeing firsthand how Chinese business is conducted. I can't wait to experience Hong Kong Disney with new friends!
    The one thing that I am anxious about is the time change. I need good sleep in my life, so I am worried about how this time change will affect my mood and energy for the first couple of days. Other than that, I am so ready to go to China!
    -- Ashley Blake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time changes are always rough. Google says it is a 13 hour time difference. Hopefully we will be able to get over quickly without too much trouble!

      Delete
    2. All of this sounds so exciting! I was having a hard time thinking of something I was anxious about. However, I have to admit I agree with the time change issue.
      -Becky Oxentenko

      Delete
  3. I have always been intrigued by China. I have watched so many documentaries on things like their dilemma of too many single men or their empty malls. I have always wanted to climb up the steps to their temples or walk through the mountains surrounded by clouds. I am looking forward to being able to learn about their businesses and their culture from people first hand. After reading this book, it inspires me to be a better traveler by fully delving into the culture around me, get to know the people who live here and learn about their lives. But what I am looking forward to the most is the free day in Hong Kong where I am going to visit my absolute favorite restaurant. I am always anxious when it comes to traveling: the packing, making it to the airport on time, checking in luggage, being at the right terminal, getting on the correct plane, and especially airport security. Once we are on the flight, I can relax and look forward to the many adventures ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love traveling to favorite restaurants. Maybe while you're eating you could ask for some Wahaha fruit milk! You can read about this fruit milk in my blog posting for today.
      -Coby Federowski

      Delete
  4. Coby Federowski

    My chapter told the history of Wahaha and how it become the number one drink manufacturer in China. It had a busy an unexpected start when Qinghou Zong was promoted to sales manger of a small business that sold school supplies and snacks by bicycle to schools around different districts. Zong decided to set up a small prossessing workshop to manufacture nutritional drinks. An unexpected implication of China's one child policy was that children (little emperors) were unhealthy because their parents spoiled them. Kids only ate what they wanted and what they wanted was not usually healthy. Zong commissioned a research of 4000 children and found that there was a severe lack of important vitamins in their diets. Zong heard of a lad that had created a nutritious drink and convinced them to turn it into a supplement product. The drink boomed and the brand Wahaha was born. Zong saw instant success but given its quick sales he predicted a fall in the nutritional drink market. In 1994 he completely left their leader position by dropping their nutritional drink line. Zong then built the fruit flavored milk market. His promotion stategy was military like, possibly being influenced by the Mao war tactic books he read in his young adulthood. They focused promotion of their fruit milk on one city per week. promoting on TV and contracting local distributors to develop demand for their fruit milk. Fruit milk was a new market and Zong wanted to find ways to make the Wahaha name more recognizable. Zong noticed that there were unsafe traffic standards and viability for children walking to school. He contacted the education authorities and volunteered 50,000 free yellow caps for children walking to school. within a week, thousands of children were wearing yellow hats that said "donated by Wahaha" on them. Wahaha later expanded into soft drinks and common juices and now competes directly with Coca cola, Pepsi Co., and Nestlee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw the blog requirements for today... and I am looking forward to trying Fruit milk and other Wahaha drinks.

      Delete
  5. Becky Oxentenko -
    I have always been interested in China. Honestly, what sealed the interest for me was the 2008 Olympic games. I was old enough to understand and remember what was happening and I remember being so intrigued by the culture and rich history that was on display in the opening and closing ceremonies. I have always enjoyed books, documentaries, and movies that highlighted the lengthy history of China. I look forward to seeing this first hand and visiting many landmarks and cities that I have only read about or seen in pictures. I have traveled quite a bit in my life and I find the most fulfilling result that comes from it is widening your view of the world. Since I have never been to any part of Asia I look forward to adding it to my view. At this point I do not feel particularly anxious about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of what i am expecting and anticipating has not changed since the first class, I am still really excited to see all the planned touristic and business sights and places. I cant wait to explore these places and get to have some memories there. I am also excited to experience a new cultural setting and i am interested to see how the language barrier will play out and how i will try to communicate. One of the things that has me a little anxious and nervous is the food situation, since i am vegan i wonder how much food i will be able to find and how good the food will taste and if it will be good for me to eat, because i'm also diabetic so i have to watch out for too many carbs, but i know its going to be a great trip and i'm going to enjoy it to the fullest.

    -Rodny Aquino

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure we try some good vegan food in Hong Kong & Shanghai! I also am so excited to see the businesses and the tourist attractions, especially the Great Wall!

      Delete
    2. 'll make sure we try some good vegan food in Hong Kong & Shanghai! I also am so excited to see the businesses and the tourist attractions, especially the Great Wall!
      - Cynthia Roman

      Delete
    3. I wish you ate meat so we could eat together, but we will probably still find some good vegan food!

      Delete
    4. I love meat, but I have been appreciating vegan food a little more. I will definitely try some of the vegan dishes with you. I am excited about trying all these different spices and flavors.
      -Allison Barreto

      Delete
  7. At the first meeting, I remember being excited to just explore China. I have been to Asia once before in 2016 on a mission trip to the Philippines and I loved it! Ever since then, I have been searching for a way to make my way back to Asia and this trip is the perfect opportunity to experience the rich Chinese culture. After reading several chapters of my book and working on a paper for an Intercultural communication class on Feminism, I am really excited to just talk to the locals and see what Feminism looks like in the Chinese culture. I am also so excited to visit Hong Kong and go to the rural villages. I think going to the rural villages will allow me to understand the perspective of the young female migrant workers in my book. I am also excited to try the different food in China, especially the mushrooms! Most of all though, I am ready to have my eyes opened to another way of life and culture and get to know my classmates a little bit better during the trip!
    - Cynthia Roman

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I am expecting about our trip to China is to interact with the locals and learn more about their lifestyles. I went to China two years ago and I loved it so much I had to go back, but sadly I wasn't able to interact with anyone that it wasn't my dad or my translator. Now that I've been there I want to be able to take advantage of what I couldn't do two years ago. I want to ask the locals what are the best places to explore on our free times that will gives us a view of their lifestyles and culture. The Chinese culture is so rich and different than mine so it is something I want to explore and learn more about it. I want to enjoy exploring the area with my friends and enjoy the richness of the food. The food is amazing and I want to be able to try more dishes and try the different dishes in each city.

    -Allison Barreto

    ReplyDelete